17 March 2010

Patterning Pants & Sewing Bikinis




Here are a couple blurry pics: one of the pants' patterns I've been working on. The other is a pic of the pants' muslin. I made the muslin out of fabric similar to the weight and stretch of the fabric I will use for the actual pants. The muslin definitely did not fit as well as I hoped, as you can see, the crotch fit needs a lot of work. I've already made the adjustments to the pattern, and will make the second muslin tonight. Muslins are really annoying to make because you are basically making the garment twice when you do this, but it will save you a lot of stress in the end and give a better fit!!

On to swim-wear...this morning I did some research on how to sew on swimsuit fabrics-what thread type, stitch type, tips etc. Found several articles and posts on the subject, and of course there are various ways you can sew swim-wear. Hmm, makes things a little more complicated. Oh well, guess I'll just test a few until I find one that works best. One suggestion made by several people was to sew with Woolly nylon thread because it stretches with the fabric. So I'm going to do some searching for that this wk/wknd. Also suggested was serging all edges and using a double needle on the hems. Hopefully all this goes smoothly. Wish me luck!!