08 February 2011

**TIME MASTER**


Some pics of my pattern process.
See my bag of pattern paper in the corner for the recycle bin?
(Note: the fabric used here is not what the final garment will be made from)


Some sketches & my faithful draping book I got in college & still continue to use.


As my design room doubles as the movie room, you can see some of the dvd collection behind the dress form. See "Psych" at the bottom? One of my most favorite shows ever!!!


For last year's collection, my typical process was taking one garment at a time from pattern to finish, however, this seemed not quite as economical time wise as I wanted. This past year I did some research on getting more accomplished in a day & making the most of your time. Turns out that many people lack the time management skills & daily productivity that they desire. Whew, glad I'm not the only one!! In my search to become a master of productivity, I came across many great articles & tips.

Attempting to implement these time management tips brought a little bit of challenge. Eeeek, are bad habits hard to break & good habits killer to create! :-P Yet, the outcome makes it definitely worth it!

Now after months of all this better time management practice, a slight advance in my own productivity began to emerge.

Thus the decision to take a different approach to the manufacturing of the 2011 collection was made.

This collection I grouped similar activities. i.e.
All pattern work done first
Second all muslins
Currently all sewing
Next all hand sewing & embellishments
Then all accessories
Finally all photo-shoots

This way produces better, faster results, as many steps in each activity become instinct when repeating them over & over again right after each-other. Definitely faster than bouncing around between very different steps in the manufacturing process. It also relieved some of the stress, for things remained more organized.

Remember that this process, even though it works for me, may not work for you. Find your own way & work it in whatever way works best for you!



"I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through."
Quote by Jules Verne

Happy Birthday, Mr. Verne!! Thanks for always keeping me entertained!!