19 January 2010

First Consult

Hey Hey!!

Just wanted to inform you guys on my first consultation with the Small Business Administration.

The telephone interview is to let the entrepreneur learn what the SBA offers, where the start-up company currently stands, and where I see it going . The counselor started by telling me about their organization and gave me an overview on what services they offer. As far as I can tell, the administration offers a large range of services from one-on-one specific counseling to group seminars on certain areas of starting a business. My local SBA also has a resource library that is open to me to use during business hours. They recommended I attend their "Starting a Business" workshop (fee: $35.00), afterwards, which, they would schedule me for an in person interview with a counselor. This is their typical path, however, if I can not attend the workshop, they would go ahead and schedule the interview (fee: free). Since I am not sure I will be able to attend the coming workshop, I let them know I would register closer to time when I know for sure of my schedule. They also asked me questions about my business and what kind of information I thought I might need.

As the summary of the experience, I will inform you that all counseling is free, while seminars/workshops have moderate fees. These fees cover software and resources given to you to take home and use after the workshop. The interview was very informative, the counselor was very polite, and overall I am impressed with the services offered and the response time.

Working on Dreams,
Anna Maria