22 January 2013

DESiGN PROCESS: THE BiNDER

Whenever I'm creating a new collection, the collection receives its own binder. Everything that pertains to that particular collection is kept in the binder; sketches, color scheme, fabric samples, receipts, notes from model castings etc. This makes designing a collection so much better organized. Anytime I need to find a fabric ID number in order to make a rush order on fabric, quickly compare costs, or some other minor crises, I do not have to run around frantically searching for a receipt; it's all right there in that collection's binder. This binder goes with me to every meeting, casting call, and photo shoot involving that collection. Big believer here in organization. Hey, just a bit of organization helps make life a little less stressful.
The sketches are placed in sheet protectors, and I write quick notes, and ideas on the protectors with dry erase marker. That way I can easily erase, change ideas around, and play with the order for the fashion show  while minimizing the damage done to the sketch from consistent erasing. I like to keep the sketches in good condition for future use in blog posts and such.

Names of models from casting calls are written on sticky notes and placed on the sketch of a garment that I'm considering for them. The sticky notes are changed around several times before I finalize the show's model line-up.



 This binder is from the Rehcy Vonne Fall 2011 collection. **AM